Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Lead, Oakum and PVC

philoÂ* writes:

On 02/17/2014 09:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I learned something new yesterday.

I never knew that you could use lead and oakum with PVC pipe. On Ask this
Old House they were attaching a new PVC drain pipe to the existing cast
iron where it went through the foundation. They cleaned out the old lead
and oakum, inserted the PVC fitting, stuffed in the oakum and poured in the
lead. They said they had to wait at least a half hour for the PVC to cool
before continuing the work.

I assume the softening and then hardening of the PVC is what gives the lead
the bite it needs to hold.

There are fittings made for exactly that purpose, I doubt it's even
legal to use lead in plumbing anymore.

This was a waste pipe and with the oakum,
I don't think there is any water/lead contact.

--
Dan Espen