Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aircraft oxygen tank as compressor tank

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 07:43:52 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 23:50:19 -0800, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:12:29 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:49:00 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a yellow WWII aluminum tank like you describe. My pop used it from 1940's until he passed away in 2001. I inherited it and used it since. I just bought a new Porter Cable compressor that pumps up to 150 psi. That is about 25 psi higher than dad or I either one ever used before so I was logging in to see if the rating 200 psi or so.

Dad later used a hot water tank for years and that was a real big improvement for volume. I too agree recycling is fine and do not believe that there is any issue as long as one uses equipment within design perimeters.

I far prefer a USA made WWII aluminum tank to an new steel one from China any day of the week. Let's see how many Chinese tanks made from old car bumpers are still around in 70 years like my WWII Oxygen tank. So the fellow below alarmed at this thought can take his new Chinese tank and I'll use my USA WWII bomber tank and we will both be happy.

Just be sure to install a pressure relief valve as someone stated below (always do that on any tank) so if there is a fire, the tank does not explode. The relief valve must be connected such that there is never a valve between the tank and the relief valve.

Best of luck.
I use a 30 pund propane tank as the primary reiever for my G-D 2CFM
compressoor. I removed the original valve and used the 3/4" NPT
opening as inlet, outlet and drain by mouting the tank upside down. It
cost me $3 for the compressor, 50 cents for the 1/2 HP motor and $70
for the safety valve, pressure switch and check valve. I have a
filter/pressure regulator fed, inverted 20 pound tank for regulated
source use and several 20 pound tanks for extra storage capacity/air
pigs.
Have I metioned how good it is to have compressed air available for
brad nailer, impact wrench,die grinder, spot sand blaster, needle
scaler, blow gun, etc.,etc.,etc.?

And I'd condemn both of those tanks if you can't get them Hydrotested
for safety. If they blow up in your face it's going to ruin your
month, if not the rest of the century.

The WW-II Oxygen Cylinder is probably one of those Strap-Reinforced
ones, they're going to take one look at and condemn flat out - and I'd
stop using it unless you have a BIG safety margin - like in a Diving
Tank built for 5000 PSI and you're only using it at 150 max.

They deliberately made those tanks as light as possible, figuring the
plane it was in wasn't going to make it 25 missions before either
getting shot down, crashed, or scrapped as too full of holes to fix.

The ex-Propane tank doesn't have that kind of safety margin - you
could put a regular Propane valve back in, and turn it in as an
Exchange at a Home Center. They'll test it before refilling.

Even a portable air carry cylinder is better - they give you a 12-year
"Dispose By" date, and then you dispose of it. Or buy a regular ASME
receiver tank, and send it in for a hydro when it comes due.

-- Bruce --

Refillable propane tanks are spec'd at a working pressure of 250PSI
and a burst pressure of 500psi. One tank out of every hundred or so
needs to be tested to either 3 times working pressure or twice burst
pressure for certification purposes.

actually ""Performance and integrity of the propane cylinders were
established by burst testing each of the 236 test cylinders. The
minimum design burst pressure criterion used here is 960 psi, or four
times the service pressure of 240 psi, consistent with typical DOT
requirements" from
http://www.propanecouncil.org/files/...port_Final.pdf

Available at:

http://ebookbrowsee.net/fs-10202-pre...pdf-d160377771