Brooks Gregory

Default Handyman Club of America - WTF?

"Bob Muir" wrote in message
Craig wrote in
:

Ralph wrote:

Hi been lurking awhile getting some good tips here.Anyways about the
check and obligation.I to did get all that stuff check, patch,pencil
etc. On the letter said if you cash check you will be billed for $ 27
dollars and change a month for a year for your life time membership
come out too roughly a little over 300 dollars.If you still have the
letter that came with it read toward the end of it.
Ralph

Read it.
Crap does not matter other than what it said on the check.
Nothing on the check
obligated one to anything.
What was in the letter? - Lot of glowing stuff. But it does not
matter. Suppose I sent you a check and a letter that said that if
you cashed my check
you would be required to ... whatever.
Or suppose that I sent you a check and then later tried to claim
that I also
sent a letter with a lot of conditions ....

Oh well. I didn't really come to get into a bitchfest. I
described my event
with that outfit and wondered if anyone had any similar. Does not
matter squat to me since I will only be good to them as long as they
keep sending me whatever right up front.

LOL - you say that there was a letter enclosed with the check? -
I guess I best
look closer in the envelope. Maybe there was a letter along with the
patch and sticker and pencil and check. ;-)

Craig, so you don't have any money and you have either no credit or bad
credit. Don't you want to be able to buy a house later at some point?
Don't you want to make some money?

A friend of mine had the same attitude many years ago. He'd join book

club
after book club just to get the 10 books for a penney or some such. Then
he'd ignore the invoices for the monthly books that were sent until they
stopped coming. His credit was pure crap for a decade! It took five

years
from the time he wanted to buy a house 'til he was able to turn things
around enough to get a bank to lend him the money for one.

It doesn't matter if there was anything on the check you cashed or not.
They can still put your credit so far in the hole that it can take a long
time to get out of it. Plus they can turn it over to a collection agency
who can keep it on your credit report for the rest of your life or 'til

you
pay them what they say you owe by then. Interest continues to accrue over
that long time.

So if you plan to continue being a pauper the rest of your life, then you
can continue to act irresponsibly.

Two points.

First: A lifetime membership to HCOA is worthless even if it was free.

Second: Magazine hickies on your credit report carry about as much weight as
doctor bills, which is almost zilch.

Ask any F&I Mgr.