Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Dust extraction adapter: sanding table to vacuum cleaner?

On 17/02/2014 01:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2014 20:12, Lobster wrote:
I have a sanding table (Clarke CDS300) for which I need to organise some
dust extraction; at this stage I don't need anything more sophisticated
than my workshop vacuum cleaner (a Wickes-badged Earlex wet-and-dry
model).

However I am really struggling to find anything to connect the two
together
neatly (ie not involving bulking out the vaccuum cleaner hose by wrapping
it an old rag. I'm imagining a rubber using a rubber boss shoved
permanently into the sandere outlet, into which I can just plug and
unplug
the vac hose at will. Can't find anything suitable anywhere (eg
ebay/Amazon/Google/Axminster) - any ideas?

The sander outlet is 52mm OD, 45mm ID, and the (tapered) tip of the
vacuum
cleaner hose is 30mm OD.

You can get adaptors to go from one to the other, failing that, large
bore heatshrink can work if there is enough spigot on the wide end.

[As an aside, I note that a wide-bore hose kit is available for my vac
(http://tinyurl.com/l9gt3zc or http://store.earlex.co.uk/wet-n-dry-
vacuums/wide-bore-hose-kit) - nozzle dimensions different but unknown
- how
would that affect the dust collecting properties of my vac?]

Increase it a little bit...

I did this years ago with a Henry. IIRC (part of) one of the attachments
that came with the vac did it. A tapered tube of some kind? So long
ago......