Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ATX power supply capacitor identification.

"Ian Malcolm"
"Phil Allison"

"Large electros kill spikes just like sledgehammers kill flies. "

And they got better aim. As long as you have full wave rectification,
and the rectifiers can handle alot of peak current, they are quite
effective. However they are not effective so much against having
simple overvoltage applied.

Thanks for the correction. I mistyped, omitting "and surges" as you may
have guessed by my reference to surges later on. However I do wonder
whether the self-inductance of the typical wound foil construction high
voltage electrolytic is enough to cause problems with very short
impulses if one omits the varistors.

** There is no such " self inductance" with electros or other wound foil
capacitors.

FYI:

The inductance of the PCB traces is far more than that of typical
capacitors.

You are clutching at straws - pal.

..... Phil