Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cross grain

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

I'm in the midst of building 7 bookcases for our new house. I've
got the
cases together and am starting on the face frames. Usually I do my
own
design, but I ran across a plan I really liked the looks of so I'm
using
it.

The face frame has a 2.5" wide top rail and a 5.5" wide bottom rail.
The
stiles are 2" wide. Not worried about the top rail but that wide
bottom
rail seems to me to be pushing the limits for cross-grain
construction.

A bottom trim piece will cover the lower 3.5" of the bottom rail.
I'm
considering splitting the rail into 3" and 2" pieces and leaving a
1/2"
gap, which will be covered by the trim, between them. But that's a
bit
of extra work I don't want to do if it isn't needed. Am I being
overly
paranoid about wood movement?

BTW, between shelf pin holes, holes for connectors, screw holes for
levelers, and holes for screws to attach the trim, I drilled almost
1000
holes! I don't want to see a drill bit for the next 6 months :-).

Purely personal but I stay away from 5+" wide pieces for furniture.

Who knows what the next 50 years will bring.

Lew