Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Rodenhiser Greg Rodenhiser is offline

Default Pella door leaks

On Friday, February 14, 2014 3:11:08 PM UTC-5, Greg Rodenhiser wrote:
I have a 4 year old house where the back door (Pella steel) leaks on the bottom corners. I can see the water on the wooden rail on the threshold and seems to only occur on the two corners vs the middle. The weather stripping is wet on the bottom half of the door where the door compresses into it when closed and the corner pad is completely soaked. Doing a visual inspection the seal when the door is closes seems tight (except the top corner on the knob side shows some light). Can you give any advice on what to check/try?

The door swings in and the threshold is plastic. I've taken a few more pictures:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...99290487074449

This shows the install from inside and outside. Should I be able to see the rail like that from the outside? I have the exact same door on my walk out basement, its also on the same side of the house. It has the same symptoms. Since the basement is unfinished I'm able to get a pretty good view between the door frame and house frame. Everything is dry and see no evidence water ever got in. I can also look under the door threshold of the door in the pictures (from the basement, no sign of water getting down there either).

My thoughts a

1. door needs better stripping at the bottom
2. bad design rip out and replace
3. get a storm door and hope that eliminates the issue