Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Rodenhiser Greg Rodenhiser is offline

Default Pella door leaks

On Friday, February 14, 2014 3:11:08 PM UTC-5, Greg Rodenhiser wrote:
I have a 4 year old house where the back door (Pella steel) leaks on the bottom corners. I can see the water on the wooden rail on the threshold and seems to only occur on the two corners vs the middle. The weather stripping is wet on the bottom half of the door where the door compresses into it when closed and the corner pad is completely soaked. Doing a visual inspection the seal when the door is closes seems tight (except the top corner on the knob side shows some light). Can you give any advice on what to check/try?

Okay, think I MAY have found the source, at least it doesn't look right to me.... I uploaded a few more pictures to give a better idea. The door is a swing in door with a plastic jam. From the outside under the door I can clearly see the wood rail of the threshold, guessing you shouldn't? The close up picture depicts the door completely closed.

My thoughts a

1. door needs new weather stripping etc....
2. door is just a bad design and should be replaced
3. put up a storm door

Also to note, my walk out basement (same side of house) has the exact same door and symptoms (water on the two corners of the wood rail in the threshold. The basement is unfinished giving me great access to look all around the door frame from inside the house, I can't see any obvious signs of water within the frame and there's no water leaking onto the cement basement floor, just the rail gets soaked.

Here are a few more pictures:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...99290487074449