Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Virgin SuperHub2 and DMZ setting

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:46:17 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

On 16/02/2014 13:20, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:59:10 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I wish to run a VPN server at home, to allow connection into my home
LAN then out again, so that the call looks to be coming from my home
network.

Useful when you are abroad and sites refuse to talk to non-UK IP
addresses.

Now implemented using the DMZ feature of the Virgin SH2, which forwards
all incoming calls to a selected IP address, and a Raspberry Pi as the
VPN Server.

My concerns now centre on the way the SH2 implements the DMZ feature.

I've a similar use of VPN (actually OpenVPN), but poke a hole in the
firewall and simply use port forwarding to the server/UDP port. I don't
use/need DMZ. If I were running www Web servers (which I kind of thought
you were) then I'd be investigating DMZ and possibly addtional assigned
IP addresses for each server. Hmmm, do Virgin even roll out additional
static addresses for home users?

AIUI the 'DMZ' feature on the SH2 is just a massive port redirect where
everything incoming goes to one internal IP address. Then you just have to
worry about which ports to open. Don't need static IP address unless the
assigned one changes too often.

I haven't asked about one or more static addresses - it sounds expensive :-
)

Cheers

Dave R