Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default up-cut, down-cut

On 2/16/14, 12:54 PM, Tdacon wrote:
When the router bit manufacturers refers to a spiral-cut router bit
as up-cut or down-cut, are they consistently speaking with reference
to the router base? Or are they assuming a router-table orientation
as opposed to a hand-held router?

The ambiguity being, of course, that a router bit that cuts away from
the router is down-cut when the router is being hand-held, and
up-cut if the router is mounted under a router table.

Tom

It's in the handheld position.
Think of when you're looking at the router and reading the brand name.
The letters in DeWalt, Porter Cable, etc can be read in the handheld
position.
That's the position relevant to up and down cutting bits.

http://cdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com/wp-...piral-bits.jpg

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)