Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phase Linear 400 output transistors

"** It does if you mix up devices. "

Not much. In each bank you got the bases all connnected directly together and the emitters are only separated by 0.33 resistors. However you are right that it will matter because if you tray to push these things and the current isn't shared it will fry fast and the outputs will probably read zero all the way arond.

"** The relay contacts will arc and burn soon as they open under a DC fault. "

Well now I got a solution to that believe it or not and I am surprised that noone does it. (or maybe they do)

take a nice 47 uF or so bipolar cap across the contacts. Period. think aabout it no before to go saying anything.

First of all the cap is not in the circuit during normal operation. The relay only kicks "out" by the application of high DC, which of course WOULD produce an arc due to the inductance, but a capacitor will take care of that. We are not concerned with AC here, just DC blowing your ****ing $3,000 Tannoy. Plus when amps put out full DC, they are not puttin gout any AC except for maybe some power supply ripple.

You know, that was a damn goo danswer about why they put those magnets around the speaker realys in amps that make the Ampzilla look like Kermit the frog, but my question is why didn't they just put a ****ing capacitor across the terminals ?

You tell me. I am not being sarcastic. I can't tnink of a single reason why they couldn't just put a 10/300 bipolar across there and be done with it anstead of ****ing with magnets. that solution probably cost directly in manhours to implement, a cap could simply be on the board.

What's more, from a fidelity standpoint, if the realy had any inductance the cap would improve its performance there. Maybe even better the slew rate.

I wonder why these highly paid enjunears **** figger dat out.

I see no downside to the caps. they are probably even cheaper than magnets. they are certainly cheaper to install.