Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dado repair... good idea.

On 2/15/2014 11:04 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 08:27:25 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/14/2014 12:23 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:08:13 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:12:22 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I would speculate that you're actually getting close to the same amount
of product with the tube of wax than the aerosol can.

Not only that, but those other products are *slippery*! The exact
opposite of what is wanted in this case.

Boeshield is not at all slippery. That's why I'm going to try
switching to GlideCote (TopCote).

Boeshield is not slippery at all, you have to buff it off before things
begin to become close to slick.

The TopCotes products have always been the product that I go back to
after trying another.

Any hints for removing the Boeshield completely? Just mineral
spirits?

Buff buff buff or Acetone... Not sure about Mineral Spirits.

Many years ago when Empire made TopCote mid 80's it was only designed
and or sold as a product to make the metal surface slick and came in a
pump bottle. I discovered that it worked extremely well, so much that
if I tossed a short board on top of the saw surface it was very likely
to slide off the opposite edge. I also discovered that the product had
a bonus feature, I no longer had a rust problem in humid Houston.

After they sold TopCote to Bostich it was never packaged the same and
never worked as well. The old TopCote dispensed as a liquid that
actually puddled on the saw surface and evaporated. The Bostich mostly
comes out as a fog and does not seem to penetrate as well before
evaporating.

Hmm. Does it still protect your saw?

As good as any thing that I have used lately. If you have never used it
before you want to apply as directed. IIRC a couple of heavy coats.

Now if you do get a rust spot..... And you are going to think I am
crazy...... put a small spot of wood glue, the regular stuff on the
rust spot and leave it there a minute or two. In fact if you just put a
spot anywhere on the cast iron top and wipe it off 10 or seconds later
the surface will look brand new.