Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default ATX power supply capacitor identification.

There was a power surge at the customer's house. PG&E said their neutral
line failed. The computer now has an ATX power supply that smells quite
crispy. The 6.3 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it, then shorted pins 13 and
14 together on the main connector to test it outside of the box. I brought
the voltage up slowly with a variac and 100W bulb in series. The fan came on
but the bulb was a bit bright. I removed the bulb and tried it with just the
variac. The fan came on, then smoke came pouring out of one component which
was shorted. It's located between the largest two capacitors on the board
which are 470uF @ 200V. I was able to peel off the heat shrink and it
appears to be a ceramic disk capacitor. The part number starts with 241k. I
cannot read the other numbers that follow. I'm guessing it's 240pF but at
what voltage? It's wired in parallel to the previously mentioned largest
capacitor on the board. Any idea what the voltage rating should be on this
cap? Is it even necessary to replace it? The power supply works fine now
that the short has been removed.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber