Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Default Pella door leaks

On 2/14/2014 2:11 PM, Greg Rodenhiser wrote:
I have a 4 year old house where the back door (Pella steel) leaks on the bottom corners.

I can see the water on the wooden rail on the threshold and seems to
only occur on the two corners

Two of my neighbors and I had the same problem. We all built our
houses over the space of several years. All of our steel doors leaked
to some degree.

This was more evident with us because of the length of time we were
living in the houses and the time the floors were finished. (Years)

Take a good look at the door where the threshold meets the door frame.
I don't believe it is possible to completely seal that area from
water leakage. Rain will hit the door and run down into the corners.
The water then wicks in under the corner of the door frame and
probably under the door itself.

We all tried a number of ways to stop the leakage but the only thing
that worked was to install storm doors. That keeps the inside door
dry. No more leakage.

I'll bet that many of you with this type of door have the same leakage
problem but don't realize it because the water is leaking in under the
finished floor and is not visible from above.

After a heavy rain has wet the outside of the door for a while probe
around the corners of the threshold where it meets the floor. Don't be
surprised if the sub floor is soft and wet.

LdB