Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default GFCI outlets

On 2/14/2014 3:57 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:41:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I think what folks are saying is that you should daisy chain from the line side of the first gfci to the second room where you put the gfci, and daisy chain from the line side of the second gfci to the third bathroom. That way, each gfci sees an uninterrupted power source back to the circuit breaker/fuse box. Each bathroom can then daisychain from the load side of its respective gfci to any other outlets and maybe a ceiling light in that same bathroom.

The only shortcoming of this method is that when the ceiling lights are also on the protected side of the gfci, if it does trip, you will lose all power to the room and it will be totally dark unless it is daytime and there is a window in the bathroom. At night you are SOL if that happens.

I don't suppose it helps much at this point but the rule that allows
you to put multiple basin receptacles in more than one bathroom on the
same circuit, also says it must only serve those receptacles, not the
light. OTOH if the circuit only serves one bathroom, it can pick up
everything in that bathroom.

Don't know how often fans are above tubs or showers, but if they are
they probably have to be on the GFCI circuit.

Having the ceiling light on the GFCI or
even on with the receptacle is still a bad design decision.
The code is not a design manual.