Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default AIRCRAFT QUALITY BOLTS

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 04:18:02 +0000, Bob Lowe
wrote:

replying to John B. , Bob Lowe wrote:
slocombjb wrote:

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:19:02 +0000, Bob Lowe
Why "practice making bad welds". You'll don't have to practice to do
that and will make plenty of them in the normal course of learning
how.
--
Cheers,
John B.

Hello moderator - I hope you don't mind this thread morphing into another
topic. John, I think the mistake philosophy in this aluminum welding has
a definite dividing line with the difference being if you make a mistake
while trying to do good, one may not know what caused it. If one is
trying to make some bad welds on purpose and sees the results, this may
help them to learn just what causes these bad looking welds when trying
not too. Just a fine point. I can think of many applications. But this
is not to say that all will think this way.

I'm not sure whether we are using TIG or gas for this exercise :-) but
the problem with trying to do it wrong is that there are so many
things that you can do wrong.... Wrong polarity with your DC machine;
trying to weld aluminum with DC; Wrong filler rod; Wrong TIG
electrode; Grinding electrode incorrectly; Striking a TIG arc with the
gas turned off; and on and on. There are so many wrong things to do
that it seems impossible to practice all of them.

It just seems like a better scheme to try to do all the right things.
--
Cheers,

John B.