Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default GFCI outlets

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:04:52 -0500, Pat wrote:

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:05:16 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/14/2014 07:19 AM, wrote:
Is it ok to make each outle tin a GFCI circuit have its own GFCI outlet? When my house was built, one GFCI outlet in one bathroom protects the outlets in three bathrooms, so If it trips, the other outlets go out. I assume there is not a disadvantage other than cost to have each bathroom have its own GFCI outlet even if it is on the same circuit?

Yep, It's better to have each one separate, they were probably just
trying to save money

Agreed. Back when GFCI's were first introduced, they were very
expensive. Builders often installed one and used it for all outlets
that were required to be protected. My house has one GFCI that
protected 3 bathrooms, the garage, and 2 outdoor outlets. Doing that
probably saved them hundreds of dollars. Today, it make little sense.

What about your kitchen counter?

Maybe this explains why, when my GFCI breaker failed, the price shown
beneath it in the store for the new one was a lot, but when the cashier
rang it up, it wasn't much at all.