Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Dado repair... good idea.

On 2/14/2014 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/14/14, 9:44 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2014 12:27 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/14, 9:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I have a ridge carbide dado, I gave it back to them last year to
redo, the sizes were so far off I could not get close to 1/4 and
the points were coming through heavily.

I needed to use it and it was heavliy rusted. They probably never
put a rust preventitive on it after recutting the teeth. So I
clean it up, and after using it, I hate waxing dadoes because
they slip while on the arbor. But I had no choice, any rust
preventitive was going to be a lube too. So after lubing it, I
started thinking how am I going to keep them from spinning into
each other.

I use bow string wax on my drumsticks to increase grip. I actually
used it on some paint brushes the last couple weeks because the dry
cold was really effecting my grip.

I know you already came up with a solution, but for those listening
in bow string wax it would prevent rust but not be slippery. It
can be found at any sporting good store with an archery section.

FYI

So from what I see 1.25 oz of bow string is about $7. DriCote, blade
cote is $10-$17 for 10.75 oz.

Top Cote (lube) now Glide Coat $10 for 10.75 oz.

Boeshield (lube) is about 18 for 12oz.

The stuff I use is about 4 bucks out the door...
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-.../dp/B00066U2YM

Those aren't accurate price comparisons, for what it's worth.
The volume/weight/whatever of the bow string wax is all wax.
With those canned products that volume also includes the propellants and
carriers for the actual lube or coating. I would speculate that you're
actually getting close to the same amount of product with the tube of
wax than the aerosol can.

I always thought the weight was actual product and not propellant. That
would seem to be a bad way of telling the consumer how much they are
getting if they included propellant.

--
Jeff