Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BricsCAD Now Runs On Linux

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:42:18 PM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
On 2/13/2014 7:56 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:28:27 PM UTC-8, Richard wrote:

On 2/13/2014 3:15 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

http://www.bricsys.com/common/news.jsp?item=981

It's an affordable CAD solution that offers solid Part and Assembly modeling.

For the price it's sold at it's a bargain and I expect it to continue to get better. It sells for less than $1,000

It's got some great technology but needs an all new user interface.

DesignCAD runs about $69. It will run under WINE.

$1000 a cad system is a bit much these days.

DesignCAD doesn't come remotely close to what BricsCAD offers.

DesignCAD:

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/D...3/Key-Features

BricsCAD:

https://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/features/

I dunno about that, jon.

Unless those assemblies can be articulated, in which case it's not

really a CAD system, but a modeling system.

And - unless we are talking about high-end _professional_ systems,

I still think $1000 is over the top for a CAD program.

By the way...

DesignCAD 3D MAX - in the hands of a true artist!

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

Of course the Assemblies in BricsCAD can be articulated. That's what the constraints are there for. Those would be the constraints that DesignCAD 3D Max doesn't have.

Why anyone would want to use a CAD program that didn't offer assembly modeling and constraints is beyond me. In better CAD programs I also expect powerful 2D kinematics.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...l-overview.htm