Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ok Electron heads...big question!

On 2014-02-13, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 13 Feb 2014 04:11:16 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

The smaller, freshly revamped Ensenada 20 has a rope start 5hp with no
ability to charge, and thats the one I was pondering putting the
16volt battery unit in.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...602/Ensenada20

That is a link to photos of the boat. I'm more curious about
the battery, if it is being called a 16V battery. The normal lead-acid
batteries are about 2.2 V per cell, so with six cells, that is 13.2 V
(charged but not currently *being* charged.

The batteries have (4) cells each.

This is the battery in question. I thought they were Trojans..but I
just went out to look and these are the ones

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/de...e-battery-1330

O.K. Special purpose batteries -- for golf carts.

And (assuming that they are lead-acid) you'll find them closer
to 8.8 V each, or 17.6 V for two in series. *That* is a bit hot for the
equipment listed, and yes, a switching type regulator is the best bet in
terms of efficiency. You could live with the power loss in three
silicon rectifiers to drop 16V down to something a bit more comfortable
for the equipment -- Assume 14.4V as a pretty good target, so we have to
get rid of 3.2V with the cells at peak --and as they discharge, you will
benefit from the ability to run at the same voltage with the input
voltage being lower than the output. It would be good to find out *how*
deep they can tolerate, and design the switching regulator to warn at a
bit higher voltage. The web page doesn't show what that minimum voltage
is -- I would suggest that you find out what it will tolerate. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail