Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does anyone make a consumer grade bench jigsaw?

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:30:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
Does anyone make a consumer grade bench jigsaw?

Jigsaw is ambiguous, and I didn't make it clear.

I've had one for 30 years and gotten some good use out of it, but it's
broken now and maybe irreparable.

Yes, I checked google and I couldn't find one.

By bench, I mean it sits on the bench and the jig/saber saw blade sticks

And jig/saber might help but it's hard to read and easy to skip over.

Acc. to wikip on jig saws

"In the past, what are now usually called scroll saws were often
referred to as jigsaws. [I guess you knew that.]

A (power) jigsaw may also be referred to, by some manufacturers, as a
"bayonet saw" or sabre saw."

I had earlier written: Sometime in the 60's I think a portable sabre
saw was also called a jig saw, and I've been confused ever since.

Best for clarity maybe to say scroll saw or sabre saw, as the case may
be. .

up from a hole in a platform, to make sawing easier than with a
hand-held tool

The one I have was made by a toy company iirc, 3 speeds, has the jig saw

It wasn't a toy company. Googling some more found it, by Toastmaster, a
kichen small appliciance company, still not a tool company.

Here's what I would be replacing.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/t...-auction-3692/

The silver table on the left is maybe 6" x 6". The total width is
maybe 2.5 feet. I never had the lathe parts but I did have grindstone
parts instead, Now I have a two wheel grinder but I use one half for
a wire wheel, and it was nice having a smaller finer grinding wheel the
Toastmaster.

But a scroll saw might be an okay substitute. I'd have to be more
gentle with the blade, right? Or they break?

on the left and on the right has a grindstone, which can be removed and
replace by a lathe, believe it or not. I've never had the lathe parts,
but I miss the jig saw.

By consumer grade I mean sits on a bench, not on the floor with its own
table. I don't have the room or the money for that.

Thanks.

DAGS for scroll saw, not jig saw.

What's your definition of "consumer grade"? What price point is that?

100 or 200, depending on how I react when I see it.

Rockwell has various models from just over $100 to around $200. Check out
the BladeRunner series.

I will check.

Craftsman, Skil, and others also sell scroll saws.

You can also buy/make tables for your hand held jig saw. The saw mounts
underneath with the blade sticking up through the table. That seems pretty
sketchy to me, but they are out there.

If you mean sketchy like I would mean sketchy, that's exactly t he
problem. 25 years ago, I bought a fold-up table that allowed a
circular saw to be mounted underneath, and I've used it and it worked.
but at times I almost knocked it down and I was looking for sandbags to
hold it down, and then I'd have to store the sandbags too.

And I bought a second metal plate for it, which they said would take a
router, but I've never used it. Too hard to dig out the table, make
room for it in the middle of the room, attach the saw, set it up, when
all I want to do most times is cut a couple things.