Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding UPS to light circuit

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:24:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:38:16 -0500, "Robert Green"

wrote:

wrote in message news:a2add6e8-9f45-43be-a90a-

stuff snipped

True, but it doesn't have to be used that way. He could have a

typical UPS that you'd use for say a PC, leave it plugged in

and only connect it manually to lights when the power goes out.

If he does that by plugging in some floor lamps, that's cool.

But it sounded like he wants to put plugs on the end of his

existing light circuits in the house, which isn't kosher.

Oy vay, is it NOT kosher. He asked if there was a way to do with that would

not use a transfer switch AND would be "inspectable." No way, Jose. I got

a whole bunch of Philips' "Stumble Lights" from a wholesaler a few years

back. They are 4 LED units with motion and ambient light detectors that run

off a 9VDC wall wart. To make them work during a power failure I removed

the wall warts and now they are all connected to a deep discharge, 80Ah

wheelchair battery. Because they draw so little power on standby they can

(and have) run for days when the main power has failed.

Fortunately, the long wire runs back to the main battery drop the voltage

almost exactly enough to run at 9VDC. As you walk through the house, even

in a total power failure, the Stumble lights sense motion and light up the

way. They've saved a lot of banged up knees and worse. Installed their

precursor (strings of LED lights) after I forgot I had left a big, black

stereo speaker on the floor and broke my toe on it one night.

Yes, I agree. But from what he's written, I think the intention

is to use a basic UPS that he already has and I doubt it's designed

for being hardwired in.

Agreed. While we can't be exactly sure of his intentions, the parameters he

set (using existing gear, no transfer switch and being code-compliant) seem

impossible to fulfill. At least not without an UPS the size of which I have

never seen and not even then because it would still need a transfer switch.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the fixation on a

transfer switch is coming from.

Because that's one code compliant way to use an existing
garden variety UPS like it sounds the OP has, ie the type that has
a plug, cord, and receptacles, like you'd use with a PC.
With a transfer switch or a panel
lockout kit and inlet, you can hook a portable generator up with an
extension cord and it's code compliant. You can do the same with
the UPS he's using for his PC. How practical it all is, and is it
worth it, those are different questions.

A UPS by it's very DESIGN has a

transfer switch built in. Standby UPS even have a spec for "transfer

time" - the time it takes to switch from line to inverter - and it is

IMPOSSIBLE for the inverter to backfeed the line. Absolutely, 100%

positively impossible. BUT the UPS MUST be installed permanently into

the circuit in order to function - and this requires a UPS designed

for hardwire installation. There are LOTS of them available - but not

at your typical WallMart or consumer electronics store.

Which by all indications in *not* the type he has and wants to use.
If he wants to buy one that will be hardwired in, then yes, I agree
he could find one.