Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding UPS to light circuit

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:35:53 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 05:15:53 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

You're not seriously trying to compare a hanging light fixture
with a plug/cord to permanenty wiring in a UPS that is not designed
nor rated to be permanently wired into house circuits are you?

I don't see anything wrong from a code or safety standpoint if
he makes it a temporary arrangement, just like you'd do if you
correctly make provisions to connect a portable generator.
I see a lot wrong if he takes a typical UPS that you'd used for a PC,
ie with receptacles, *******izes that and wires it into his
light circuits.

Let's say the OPs electrical panel is in his open garage. Mount a
1900 box under the panel so it is around 18 inches from the floor.
Connected the box to the panel with a conduit. Disconnect the circuit
that supplies the lights. Run the feed for the (new) receptacles in
the 1900 box to the breaker the lights were on.
http://www.garvinindustries.com/Elec...FShk7AodjAUAog

Now take a 4 ft length of SO cord and run that cord into the side of
the 1900 box. Connect the SO cord to the lighting circuit that came
off the breaker that now feeds the receptacle.

Now, what you have is a feed for the lights that can be disconnected
by unplugging the receptacle. The receptacle is still in perfect
working order.

Plug the UPS and the lighting circuit into the receptacle for 8 hours
until the UPS charges. Then, unplug the lighting receptacle from the
receptacle and plug it into the UPS.

The UPS has the automatic transfer built in. No back feeding. No
jury rigging. Nothing against code I know of.

Anita Snugsnatch

You don't know your code. Around here, anyways, permanently installed
house wiring may NOT be connected using a plug. Period. Even getting
a furnace to pass being plugged in can be a challenge.