Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to remove this sliding glass door?

Harry K wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:03:09 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Harry K wrote:

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:01:42 AM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

My POS was an Anderson door, definitely a quality door, installed in
1984. Replaced the rollers twice, every winter down there with a hair
dryer cleaning snow/ice out of the track and cussing the abortion every
time. Removed it 20012.

How can you call it a POS and a quality door in the same sentence? That
makes absolutely no sense.

Sliding door = POS - the worst design ever developed for closing a hole in an outside wall.

You opinion based on your bad experiences. That's fine.

How often were you "down there" with a hair dryer? What caused ice and snow
to get in the track? My track is inside the house. It would be hard to get
ice or snow in it.

Almost every time it snowed. It opened directly on to the patio, snow
would lodge against the door, open it and it fell into the track, close
door it pushed the snow against the jam and froze there.

Never happens to me. I get snow on my deck but I never have snow in the
track problems. Maybe it's the slanted design of the sill. Can't say
without comparing.

2012 - 1984 = 28. 2 sets of rollers in close to 3 decades? That doesn't
sound so bad. I've done one set

And all the rest of my outside doors have not needed ANY roller
replacement - your point is??

My point is that I like my sliding door much more than I would like a
swinging door. I like it enough that if I had to replace rollers once a
decade that would be a small price to pay for everything else I like about
the door.

As for a normal door taking up space in the room - install it correctly
(opening OUT) solves that. That also makes the house more secure - almost
impossible to kick in a door that opens out.

When it opens out, does it open 180° so as not to take up any room on the
deck? Does it open when there is a foot of snow on the deck?

Almost and it takes up no useable room. It opens onto two steps going
down so deep build up doesn't happen.

We step directly out onto the deck. Any door that opened onto the deck
would take up usable space. Different situations warrant different
applications.

We often keep our sliding door open when it's raining. I wouldn't want the
inside of my wooden door exposed to the elements.

I'll put up with repainting over the problems people have trying to
remove a slider to replace rollers any day.

My door is stained on the interior. I wouldn't want it outside.

As far as "problems" removing it, it goes back to the design of the door.
All that is required for me to remove the slider is 6 screws to remove a
piece of wooden molding at the top of the door and the panel just tilts
down into the room. It's a simple one man operation.

As far as kicking in the door, I don't consider that an issue. If they want
in, they're coming in. Did you happen to notice the 2 large panes of glass
that most sliding doors come with? If they want in, they're coming in.

So you don't both locking up, got it.

Now you're just being silly because you want to argue. Sensible people
don't make it easy, but no one can make it impossible.

At least you didn't pull the old "code prohibits doors opening out" which
is an outright lie but shows up every time in these discussions. This is
the first time it hasn't.

Harry K