Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding UPS to light circuit

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:32:43 -0500, "Sherlock.Homes"
wrote:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

My house lighting is all LED total wattage with all on is less than 100
watts. What I want to do is to be able to connect my light circuits to the
UPS during emergencies like this ice storm that is coming up. Not worried
about heat or the fridge, I have gas heater backup and not enough in the
fridge to worry about. Are there approved ways of connecting in the UPS that
does not involve adding a transfer switch.
_________________________________________________ _________________________

Nope - no approved ways I know of. Lots of jury-rigged possibilities
though. The only way to evade the NEC on this is to use low voltage power.
Install 12VDC LED lights throughout the house on a dedicated circuit that's
always powered by a large (costly) deep discharge battery on a constant
charging circuit. If you use a car battery you'll severely shorten its life
if you deeply discharge it more than a few times.

If these are 110VAC fixtures then there's very little hope of doing what you
want to do and having it approved by an inspector. But it is an
interesting idea and probably will be the way things are done 50 years from
now.

SH

Not true. There are UPS units designed for exactly this application
that are hardwired into the house circuitry.