Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jackmholt@gmail.com is offline

Default Aircraft oxygen tank as compressor tank

On Monday, December 20, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Craig C. wrote:
(Mike14k) wrote:

I have "inherited" an aluminum tank labled "Breathing Oxygen" from a WW II
airplane. It is roughly 24" long, 15" in diameter and rounded on the ends with
a carrying handle. Inlet/outlet on each end...... Handle on top.

They were used in low pressure O2 systems....working pressure of
400-500psi. The tank that you have is a portable from one of the
bigger bombers. It is probably worth more as a WW2 a/c part to you
than as an air tank.

At the museum that I used to work for, we used the O2 tanks from our
B-36 as air tanks while we were working on all the other a/c. Had them
in the bed of a 5 ton truck and the air system off the truck plumbed
to the tanks and then regulators on the hose manifold.

Craig

I have a yellow WWII aluminum tank like you describe. My pop used it from 1940's until he passed away in 2001. I inherited it and used it since. I just bought a new Porter Cable compressor that pumps up to 150 psi. That is about 25 psi higher than dad or I either one ever used before so I was logging in to see if the rating 200 psi or so.

Dad later used a hot water tank for years and that was a real big improvement for volume. I too agree recycling is fine and do not believe that there is any issue as long as one uses equipment within design perimeters.

I far prefer a USA made WWII aluminum tank to an new steel one from China any day of the week. Let's see how many Chinese tanks made from old car bumpers are still around in 70 years like my WWII Oxygen tank. So the fellow below alarmed at this thought can take his new Chinese tank and I'll use my USA WWII bomber tank and we will both be happy.

Just be sure to install a pressure relief valve as someone stated below (always do that on any tank) so if there is a fire, the tank does not explode. The relief valve must be connected such that there is never a valve between the tank and the relief valve.

Best of luck.