Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan alan is offline

Default OT Sending and Receiving Emails

On 12/02/2014 10:56, Davidm wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I know there are some knowledgeable people on
here that might be able to explain this in plain English so....

I've been trying to explain to the Mrs why emails that she sends or
receives sometimes seem to get delayed by hours, or even days. I've
always just accepted this, but in trying to explain why to her realise
that I don't really understand it.

Taking an example, she sends an email via a client (Thunderbird) on
her PC (in the UK), which uses POP/SMTP to connect to her email
provider Virginmedia, to a recipient in the UK who uses a client also
using POP/SMTP to connect to Hotmail. Her client is setup to send
emails immediately, the recipient has their client checking for new
emails every 30 mins.

What is the path that the email might take through the "internet
cloud" to the point that it arrives at the recipients PC, and what
might happen to cause delays in the email being received?

The header information in every email will contain information about all
servers it passed through and the times at which each server received it.

Example from one of my emails today

by mwinb3101 with LMTPA;
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:04:35 +0100

by mwinf5c51 with ME
id RS4a1n01v1EoLUw01S4bPE; Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:04:35 +0100