Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold water inlet temperature

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:43:45 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"Vic Smith" wrote in message

wrote:

stuff snipped

By now you've probably read about the things I intend to experiment with

nurse the heater along through the supercold weather. So far, so good

with

the pressure drop and I am about to do a load of laundry to measure the

fill

rate.

No, I'll go look.

Okay, you basically throttled down the input, and turned down the

water heat. Seems a drastic step to take to reduce the possibility

of thermal shock.

Drastic? DRASTIC????? Adding an expansion or tempering tank or putting fins

on the portion of the pipe from the main shut off/building inlet to the

water heater would be drastic. These are "fixes" that took nothing more

than the twist of a valve or a dial. (-: Not even a full twist, either.

But tinker if you want to. Cant hurt unless you screw up the valve.

I did the throttling bit once with an old gas furnace that was

throwing too much heat up the stack, but that was a different case.

I think you're making too much of it.

Another county heard from. Ironic since I am not advising anyone to do what

I am doing.

I'd agree with your assessment if you were living next door and I could grab

you during the middle of a serious snowstorm and get you to help me replace

the tank while saying "I told you so." But I doubt that any of the posters

who have claimed I am worrying too much is going to be standing beside me

helping me repair things in the bitter cold if they guessed incorrectly.

I got to quiz the plumber as he replaced the unit in my neighbor's home

today and he said they had almost three times the number of emergency calls

about water heaters as they normally do. Something about this incredibly

long, incredibly cold spell is resulting in aging water heaters having

"aneurysms" and failing at an accelerated rate. I've noticed that trend and

want to see if there's any way to keep myself from being that plumber's next

service call.

The shower massager still pulses (turns out to be an excellent informal

pressure gauge by accident!), the toilet's taking a little longer to fill

and the bathroom sink is unusually low-flow and probably indicates

something's amiss somewhere other than the screen. That fixed the low

flow

in the kitchen but not in the bathroom. So reducing pressure as a test

actually had a diagnostic side effect. It really slowed down the flow

from

screens clogged with spooge.

Don't think it was used to reduce "stress."

Probably not, but you're in a cold enough climate that you never know,

IIRC.

Probably to increase capacity for a smaller water heater.

You said "next to" the heater - was it in line before the heater or

after?

Before it might have indeed been a pretempering device.

Before. I removed it when I put a new WH in. It was old, and just

another failure point.

That's interesting because the plumber installed just such device today

before the water heater - it looked like a small propane tank. He said the

expansion tank was now required by code in the county. Might have been the

same for the tank you removed. Did it pass inspection after the change or

has it been inspected? IIRC, Chicago, like NYC, has some of the strictest

building and fire codes in the nation. I seem to recall that both cities

still require armored cable but they may have finally decided to embrace

Romex.

BTW, the water temp at the Lake Michigan intake crib whence my water

originates, is currently 32 F.

Don't know what the cold water Temp in the house is.

Except it's pretty cold.

Jeez, that ISs pretty damn cold! All the articles I've been reading about

burst pipes and water heater failures (sample below)

http://www.debordinc.com/pdf/sept_2010___Newsletter.pdf.

seem to agree that there are things you can do to extend the life of your

heater and turning down the thermostat is one of them.

Or to sell the "tempering" tank.

Yeah, what he just said. (-:

Only reason to have one nowadays is perhaps to "temper" water

for the on-demand type heaters.

Oh, 25 to 50 extra gallons of potable water on premises can't be a bad

idea,

overall. In DC, we worry about dirty bombs and other "cakes baked" by

those

with an anti-government agenda, foreign and domestic.

You're probably better off with a tempering tank to serve that "need."

I did a quick look and didn't see anybody selling them.

You need a tank able to withstand municipal water pressure.

Costly.

Agreed. Right now there's 25G of potable water stored in Nalgene tanks in

the old darkroom (that was converted to an animal hospice). A expansion

tank would insure that water's always fresh but I'd have to be able to pump

it out if the water's cut. But that would be a "drastic" solution. I want

to take some simple precautions to avoid experiencing my neighbor's fate.

Today, the plumber, when briefing my neighbors about their new heater,

warned them that the higher the tank temperature is set, the shorter the

tank's overall lifespan. The hotter the water, the faster corrosion takes

place. Also, the greater the temperature delta, the more the unit cycles

within a given time period. I alread discovered those facts reading about

heater failures, but it was good to know the plumber agreed.

So I rolled back the temperature AND the pressure until the normal weather

returns. Seems like a very simple, very un-drastic precaution to take when

an old, old water heater is exposed to inlet water colder than it's ever

seen in its entire service life. I can live with slightly cooler hot water

for a few days or weeks more. As long as it's warm enough to shower

comfortably (and it is) there's no big whoop. Since I've got a Floodstop

electrical master shut off valve AND a manual one, I am not afraid of

buggering the valve by adjusting it to compensate for the extreme cold.

While I don't think thermal stress is a great contributor to the

*overall*

wearing out of a water heater, what I've read so far convinces me that a

long bout of very unusually cold weather will kill off the weaker water

heaters in the herd. And by age alone, mine's a downer heater.

Speaking of euthanizing water heaters, how about that giraffe? I've

already

read two different versions. Killed by shotgun, killed by boltgun. I

love

the uncertainty of breaking news. (-:

By now you've *had* to have heard of the Copenhagen Zoo's serious public

relations nightmare. They're in more trouble than Chris Christie. (-:

Putting down "excess stock" makes me worry that one day when it's time to

retire the boss will say: "Vic, Bobby - your outtake interviews are in

room

one" and Anton Chigur from "No Country For Old Men" will be waiting in

there

with his compressed air tank. PFFFFT!

(Wouldn't that thing get all matted up with dried brain goo?)

I haven't followed it, but wonder why they don't use birth control to

avoid "excess stock."

So are a lot of people. People are also wondering why the zoo didn't take

up the several valid offers to accept the "surplus" giraffe instead of

chopping it up in front of zoo visitors. I suspect the zoo's director will

soon be retiring or looking for a new job. It's a classic case of

scientists getting so wrapped around the axle that they are unaware of how

their actions will look to non-scientists - in this case zoo patrons who are

far less concerned with inbreeding than they are with the concept of zoos

killing healthy animals that could *easily* have found a home elsewhere.

I don't see how they could be unaware. They were given a petition with
27,000 signatures saying not to kill the giraffe. The other thing I
don't see anyone talking much about is if they were so concerned about
inbreeding, they could have neutered the animal. The zoo did have some
lame excuse about that, saying that if you anesthetize a giraffe, it
may fall down and break it's neck. Seems the *chance* of that happening
is a hell of a lot better than just killing it. This is about as
dumb as it gets. It's just a bunch of eggheads insistant on following
the rules they've made up. When you have responsible zoos in other countries
willing to take the animal, eg England, no excuse for what they did.

IMO, until those responsible are fired, everyone should boycott the
zoo and keep the pressure up.