Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding UPS to light circuit

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:32:43 AM UTC-5, Sherlock.Homes wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

My house lighting is all LED total wattage with all on is less than 100

watts. What I want to do is to be able to connect my light circuits to the

UPS during emergencies like this ice storm that is coming up. Not worried

about heat or the fridge, I have gas heater backup and not enough in the

fridge to worry about. Are there approved ways of connecting in the UPS that

does not involve adding a transfer switch.

Nope - no approved ways I know of.

If he's willing to buy the right UPS, of course it can
be done. From a practical standpoint, I think he wants
to use a typical UPS that's cord/plug connected and that
you plug loads into. And I agree, no code compliant
way to take a house light circuit and put it into that.

Lots of jury-rigged possibilities

though. The only way to evade the NEC on this is to use low voltage power.

NEC covers that too.

Install 12VDC LED lights throughout the house on a dedicated circuit that's

always powered by a large (costly) deep discharge battery on a constant

charging circuit. If you use a car battery you'll severely shorten its life

if you deeply discharge it more than a few times.

NEC covers that too.

If these are 110VAC fixtures then there's very little hope of doing what you

want to do and having it approved by an inspector. But it is an

interesting idea and probably will be the way things are done 50 years from

now.

SH