Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ADSL over coax (AKA I don't know anything about ADSL)

On 12/02/14 13:21, tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 11/02/2014 21:36, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

What options are available for areas that don't have local cabinets, and
the BT exchange can do ADSL max at best?

If you're lucky, EFM, ok it's out of most "home" budgets as it bonds
four PSTN lines but it gets 10-15Mbps symmetric, rather than whatever
ADSL1 can manage.

Interesting - that is one I had not investigated before. Prices are not
cheap (seems like £170/month is not uncommon for 10Mb symmetrical), but
compared with a couple of business class ADSL connections and bundled
phone lines its not a huge jump.

I heard an ISP comment the other day that they, BT, were delaying the
roll out of Fibre to some industrial estates because why give them fibre
at 30 odd quid a month when you can supply leased lines and EFM for a
lot more moolah.....

that is one way to spin it. Another might be that they need symmetric
performance so staff can use VPNS for home, or upload big data to the
corporate (hosted) web site and ADSL isn't the best option. So why
invest in it when what the dues actually need is different?

FTTC is only a stopgap anyway. In the end we need full symmetric 100Mbps
or better. if ethernet over (two) twisted pairs is the next best thing
one wonders whey its not being pushed harder.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.