Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding UPS to light circuit

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:28:12 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:20:50 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

wrote:

On 2/11/2014 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:43:37 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

wrote:

My house lighting is all LED total wattage with all on is less than 100 watts. What I want to do is to be able to connect my light circuits to the UPS during emergencies like this ice storm that is coming up. Not worried about heat or the fridge, I have gas heater backup and not enough in the fridge to worry about. Are there approved ways of connecting in the UPS that does not involve adding a transfer switch. I was thinking about doing this with outlets and plugs so I could unplug the light circuit and plug it into the UPS.

Jimmie

That is an interesting question. What kind of UPS are you talking

about? The ones for computers only last for around an hour.

Jimmie, if you're using the UPS to insert 120V into that lighting

circuit you MUST have a transfer switch or some sort of lockout

otherwise there is no way you can insure that you're not backfeeding the

grid. Then, too, if you're back feeding the grid with that UPS, you can

expect it to run for about 1 millisecond before total discharge g

If you study just how a manual transfer switch (Reliant, etc) works and

interfaces with your circuit breaker panel, you can probably - if you're

really handy and adventuresome - cobble up a one or two circuit

transfer switch. Just remember you want to break a connection before

making a connection.

Don't you think he could make a cord and plug disconnect for one

circuit at a time?

And have it comply with code? No.

He could use one of the panel lockout kits together with
an inlet. That's the cheapest, simplest way to do it, IMO.