Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Pavers or Tile over Asphalt Driveway?

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:16:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:43:55 -0800 (PST), bob haller

wrote:

Obad idea any cracks in the asphalt with cause pavers or tile to crack. Asphalt moves a lot when freezing and thawing.

seal the driveway, or skim coat a 1 inch layer of new asphalt over your existing driveway..

Which is GUARANTEED to crack up and lift off within 18 months at the

very most..

my neighbor was selling his home, he had his cracked driveway skim coated with a inch of finsh asphalt.....

it lasted at least 15 years thru 2 owners.

tiles and pavers would allow water to get easily into cracks.. doing real harm when freezing.

my asphalt drieway was paved way back around 1985. its showing its age, sealer helps keeps it together.

my old neighbor had a asphalt driveway installed when i was a kid, I am 57 years old.... its still their but is badly cracking tm meehan the owner got too old to maintain it and died a year or so ago...

50 years + for asphalt is a long time