Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Lowe Bob Lowe is offline

Default AIRCRAFT QUALITY BOLTS

replying to Ned Simmons , Bob Lowe wrote:
news wrote:

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:51:04 +0700, John B.
I did quite a bit of welding on masts back in the bad old days, mostly
on boats 40 feet and up as well. Halyard winch bases and radar mounts
were the first things that came to mind.
--
Ned Simmons

Okay Ned, I have a question...I don't know how far back your bad old days
were but in the 50's when I needed some aluminum welding done I always had
it done by Heliarc, as if the gas welding flux hadn't been developed
yet...I really don't know this for sure. But now that I am retired my 'To
Do' list has grown to a couple of life times long and I can't get
everything crammed in. I have I think at least 3 gas welding outfits, the
regular industrial, a mid sized venturi air type and a little Map
Gas-Oxygen affair. I haven't gotten around to teaching myself how to weld
aluminum. I see the flux coated gas rod and this is my question....could
this be an easy way to get started on this? Or could you recommend
another starting point? I don't want to bother with getting into the Mig
welding area.

Thanks,

Bob Lowe

--