Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Dedicated machine for collet slotting?

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:06:47 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

I have a lathe but no mill. I'm looking at getting a tabletop 3 axis
trammel CNC, which I think will be cheaper and more useful for me than a
knee mill, but I have a project which would require a lot of collet
slotting in delrin, and this machine seems not the best choice. I feel
like I've seen a dedicated machine, but don't remember where. Also, I'm
wondering if some sort of sharpening machine could be adapted.
Thanks!

Burke or Nichols hand feed mill? These have a lever with rack & pinion
instead of a hand crank and lead screw for the longitudinal feed.

http://www.thekilmerplace.com/mill%20done%20001.JPG
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...t-head-210534/

There's also the Barker mill, which uses 3c collets for a max capacity of
1/2" and takes up very little space.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/barkermiller/

--
Ned Simmons