nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Pipes are buried six feet underground, but with a deep freeze and no
snow to help insulate, city administrators are trying to help dozens
dealing with faucets that no longer work.
Well, that's your problem, right there.

Here in Winnipeg, a typical winter's frost line is about 6 feet deep, so our water supply and sewer pipes are buried much deeper than 6 feet.

If the water pipes are only 6 feet deep in Minnesota, and we're having a particularily cold winter, then the ground will freeze to that depth and more just like it does in Winnipeg, and that's why the pipes are frozen.

Burying the pipes only 6 feet deep because that's normally been sufficient in the past is like drowning while crossing a stream that has an average depth of only 1 foot.