Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Bandsaw metrics

On 2/11/2014 9:35 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/11/14, 8:47 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/10/2014 11:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've done that type of wall in studios and they perform very
poorly. Are they better than a standard stud wall? Yes, for
ordinary residential use. But they would never work for a studio.

Never say never.

They do for some practical applications in the studio. Depends upon
the location, distance from, and frequency that you wish to
mitigate.

Installed correctly, double stud walls will mitigate sound
transmission _by decoupling_, for _practical_ isolation in areas like
vocal booths, not so effectively in areas like drum and amp booths.

Well, I am a drummer, right? :-p

But a double stud wall room/booth, a few feet away from a separate
double stud wall/booth, will often get you close enough for practical
purposes.

Now you're just making my point for me.
If one works, why are you now building two? :-)

In a word, utilization of interior space and, if done/placed properly,
of great benefit in reduction of standing waves in an otherwise less
than desirable recording space.

I would specify cement block. :-)
Having done some alternating stud walls, I'm left to wonder if it isn't
easier and more effective to simply build two walls, close to one
another for those purposes.

Depends upon where the facility is located, IOW, stand-alone, commercial
building, middle of a downtown city block, next to a loading dock (-
actual experience, there g), etc.

My point, having built three commercial studios from the ground up, the
pursuit of "soundproofing", and perfection in acoustic space, is mostly
one of the "holy grail" nature, never realized, ill advised, and often
practically unnecessary.

Very often, time and money better is better spent on practical issues
that have more impact on the recording environment.

Not to mention that, historically, more memorable hit records have been
cut in a waaaay less than perfect "studio environments -- the likes
Motown, Sun, Cowboy Jack Clements's, Muscle Shoals, Sugar Hill, et al
than in all the designer built, 'perfection of acoustic environment',
"soundproof" studios combined.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net