Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

On 2/11/2014 2:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out
power. I have natural gas heat but if the power goes, I may go
bonkers without my computers running. ^_^

Eh. I just go to bed when the power goes out. We have electric heat
and it gets cold! Does your gas heat stay on when the power goes
out? When it goes out at my mom's house, she loses her heat.

I have a wall heater and a gas stove. The central heat was damaged by
the combustion chamber rusting out and the controls burning up. The
central AC is working but I installed the natural gas wall mounted
heater and have another identical one that I'd have to repair because it
was originally installed and a goofy roommate broke the control and now
the grill is missing. Two heaters would be enough to heat this old house
which originally had a floor furnace. The wall heater is in one side of
the house and the gas stove is in the other. I set the oven to low and
leave the oven door open about 4 inches but can open it wider if more
heat is needed. The oven thermostat cuts it on and off just like the
wall heater. I also have a 5 gallon stock pot full of water on one
burner set to very low to add humidity to the air. I have three electric
heaters to average out the temperatures. Heck, the four desktop
computers running add heat to the air. When the temperature dropped down
to 7°F, the house was comfortable and no pipes froze, temperatures that
low are unusual for Alabamastan. Snow paralyzes the area and now we have
an ice storm hitting North of here and it's expected to descend upon
Birmingham tomorrow. ^_^

TDD