Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Cold water inlet temperature

wrote in message news:cd7f8aa1-52e3-4c2f-8d47-

stuff snipped

In coming water is definitely colder here in suburban NJ in winter too.
That's why it's good to have automatic temp adjusting on washing
machines. The older ones just gave you cold, half and half for warm,
or hot. Newer/better ones mix it to the correct temp. In winter
mine adds some amount of hot water, even if you have it set to
cold.

In the winter I trim the washing machine "cold" valve to about half flow.
Takes longer to fill the tub but Ye Olde Kenmore has simple hot/warm/cold
settings and no capacity for automatic temperature adjustment. Since it's
set and forget operation, the longer fill times don't bother me much. I
think the next time the shower/diverter valve needs replacing, I will choose
a thermostatic unit. There's a chance of doing real damage if the shower
temperature drifts too much.

--
Bobby G.