Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Cold water inlet temperature

"Mark Storkamp" wrote in message
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

I am wondering if prolonged cold spells substantially reduce the

temperature
of the water entering a house from the city water service . . .

. . . and if that's true, does that temperature drop translate into
increased stress on water heaters? My neighbor's just failed and last

week
we had a water main rupture, too. I can't help but wonder if these are
temperature-related failures.

I'm curious, lets say you prove that it is true. Short of moving to a
warmer climate, what do you intend to do about it? Seems like a lot of
work without much in the way of ROI.

Do you mean to say you can't think of *any* inexpensive or cost-free way to
reduce potential thermal stress on a water heater when the inlet temperature
goes very low? I can think of several off-hand.

In my case, the water in the pipes in the basement are colder than the
water entering the house. But that's because I keep my basement at
around 35 degrees in the winter.

That's pretty unusual for most homeowners I know.

--
Bobby G.