Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave[_39_] Dave[_39_] is offline

Default How to remove this sliding glass door?

This door is hard to slide. The track itself looks ok and the door doesn't drag on the threshold, so I'm guessing the rollers are clogged with pet hair and dirt, etc. I have changed rollers on other doors and in those cases the door just lifted up and tilted out from the bottom. This one looks to me like it was installed backwards or something because I cannot lift the door high enough to get over the bottom lip on the inside and it seems my only option is to remove the stationary pane and tilt it out going the other way. I cannot seem to figure out how to get the stationary pane out though. In the last two pics you can see metal plate things at the top and bottom held on with screws. I have removed these thinking I would be able to slide the stationary pane away from the jamb and then tilt it out, but I couldn't get it to budge, and I was afraid of bending something or breaking the glass.

Or does anyone see some other way to get this out this that I'm not seeing?

This is looking at the sliding pane from the inside:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb79588a8.jpg

This is a close-up of the bottom lip on the inside. You can see there is no way the door will lift high enough to get over this lip:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...psd557db31.jpg

This is a close-up of the top of the frame from the inside:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps685198d2.jpg

This is looking at the lower track from the outside. The right pane is the slider, the left is stationary:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse374d769.jpg

And this is looking at the upper part of the track from the outside. Right pane is the slider, left is stationary:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...psa5898374.jpg