Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Virginia wants $160,000 back

"Lab Lover" wrote in message

When a government entity acquires a piece of property from a private
owner, even
if the process of condemnation is used, it is common place for both
parties to
hire a private, licensed property appraiser.

Appraisers are usually indemnified against errors and omissions by a O&E
insurance policy. If the price paid by the state was based upon such an
appraisal, the logical recourse would be to go after the appraiser.

If they purchased without an appraisal or ignored the appraisal
completely, I
would speculate they have little chance of success. However, if they can
prove
the seller materially misrepresented the property, they might have
legitimate
recourse.

If I were a member of the jury, on the basis of the known facts, I would
find in
favor of the homeowner.

There is one thing I have not seen factored into the land grab by the
government.

Land in the country is not worth very much. Once the road or lake is built
the land next to the road/lake can become very valuable. Why is the
government forced to pay the price of the projected value of that land ?

In this area many years ago a river was damed up and a lake made. Many
people had to sell their land for almost nothing. One fellow did not sell
much of his land.
Move forward about 20 years. The land around this lake is now worth many
times the origional price. Part of the land that the fellow did not sell is
under water and part of it is not. The people in charge of the lake have
many restrictions on the boat docks and ramps that can be built. Because
this one person did not sell his land for the low price the lake people
wanted to give him, his land is now worth much more because he can build any
kind of dock he wants to, and do whatever he wants to right up to and into
the water where some of his land is.

In my opinion the governmnet should be forced to look at the highest priceof
the land with in 10 miles or more and have to pay tht price.

---