Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI bathroom re wiring

On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:13:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 10, 2014 7:37:45 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I am trying to add a few GFI outlets to my wife's bathroom. I also have to move one of the outlets because of a larger mirror that I will be installing to make wife and daughter happy.

The problem is, I know it is against code to put a junction box inside the wall. And I think leaving it outside will cause my framed mirror to not sit flat.

I spent all weekend trying to track down wires. I figured out the entire breaker is dedicated to the bathroom GFI's only. I have only 3 outlets currently on this entire 20 amp circuit.

The power goes to the outlet I want to move from above in the attic. However, from this outlet it goes to two other bathrooms and I cant find the wires that branch the outlets together. I am guessing it is through the studs when they built the house and as such, they may be inaccessible or if they do go into the attic are covered under the floor of my bonus room to which I have no access because the bonus room is finished.

As I see it I have two options:

1. somehow leave the current outlet and make it into a junction box and somehow recess a new box so that the access cover would be flush with the wall. Then run a wire from this box into the crawl space then to the two new outlets in the bathroom.

2. Maybe more work but a more proper solution would be to install a junction box in the attic where the current feed is to the existing outlet, run a wire from this junction box down the entire length of the wall into the crawl space. Install another junction box in the crawl space and make the connection to the new outlets here. I would also have to run new wires from the two other outlets in the two other bathrooms into the crawl space to tie into the junction box. (Doing it this way requires new wiring on the entire circuit but eliminates an accessible junction box being required in the wall).

One thing I wondered. This is a GFI circuit. The breaker is not GFI but the outlets are. If I have connections in the crawl space where sometimes there is a little moisture after a lot of rain, will I have trouble with the GFI tripping? My idea would be to use one of those outside metal moisture proof boxes but just run regular 12/2 wire to this junction. Would using conduit to this junction be a better idea?

Any help is appreciated!

My upstairs is a finished bonus room. Above where my new outlet will go is a finished floor with a joist that prevents acess past it.

What I am thinking now is just running a new circuit to one of the new outlets. Someone told me with two hair dryers going at the same time might trip the 20 amp breaker.

20 amps is 2400 watts, so I think if they are both reasonable size ones
and on high at the same time, they would trip it. Check the actual ones
for wattage.

Also, for a bathroom, since you're getting rid of one outlet, be
aware that there must be an outlet near each sink, i believe it's
within 3ft. If you have 2 sinks, one outlet can serve both if it's
between them.

Especially since they are using curling irons too. Would it be stupid to have one outlet on its own breaker? If you were to run wire in your crawl space, would you use regular 12/2 or conduit with 12/2? Should the wire be stapled to the bottom of the floor joists or inside the joist bay with holes drilled across joists?

No, it's not stupid to have one outlet on it's own breaker.
In your example, if you had several outlets in a bathroom on one
breaker and you were running into concerns like you have over
hair dryer load, etc, nothing wrong with separating an outlet
by one sink onto it's own breaker.

regular 12/2 NM, ie Romex, is fine. If running along a joist, they
should be stapled to the sides. When running at an angle, I believe
for a crawlspace it needs to be either through holes or use running
boards.

I appreciate any help!