Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default ADSL over coax (AKA I don't know anything about ADSL)

In article ,
David Paste scribeth thus
Thanks for all the replies.

So ADSL is a technology developed to cope with the installed telephone lines,
not a technology developed independently and then shoe-horned onto the existing
lines? This makes much more sense to me now!

About right..

The one thing that annoys me about cable is the asymmetry of upload speed
compared to download. I have a 60 meg DL, and 3 meg UL. I do enough uploading
for this to be a bit of a pain in the arse!

Well does it really matter for the great majority of users ., the name
ADSL Asymmetric digital subscriber line implies that. Most everyone will
download faster than upload and unless your running a server what's the
real problem?, with anything I upload I just start it and let it get on
with it.

ADSL seems to have MUCH better upload speeds. As I understand it, it is due to
the bandwidth allocation of the cable system (DOCSYS?)

DOCSIS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

AIUI it is improving or will be when they change systems whenever that
will be..

and the 'traditional'
bandwidth requirements of earlier consumer internet times.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Google fibre style company in the UK?

????....

--
Tony Sayer