Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do NOT PUT Fabric Softener in the BLEACH Dispenser!!

10:20 AM wrote:

"What brand of washing machinw and what brand of softener? I have never heard of a USA brand saying to put the softener into the bleach dispenser. Bleach is immediately put into the wash water, fabric softener goes into the rinse water, else it is just wasted away by the rinse cycle after being flushed out in the main wash cycle. Bleach always goes into the wash cycle, and after it does its job it is rinsed away. "

Everything you wrote here should be implied as understood. Of COURSE bleach goes in my bleach dispenser during the fill stage of the wash cycle! How ****ing STUPID do you people think I am?! Do I have "Bush" written on my forehead?!

The machine is a mid-level Estate series by Whirlpool, about 5 years old. The fabric softener is liquid Downy. The directions on the bottle are "Add to the machine dispenser or final rinse." - EXACT WORDS.

I took that to mean 'don't add directly to laundry', and so poured the correct amount into the bleach dispenser during fill-up for rinse cycle.

In any case, the decision has already been made: NO MORE separate fab. softener under this roof. From now on we use detergent with softener added in. Plenty of that on retailer shelves.

Thanks to all who completely misunderstood my o.p.