Posted to alt.home.repair
Lab Lover Lab Lover is offline

Default Virginia wants $160,000 back

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 07:20:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/8/2014 8:02 PM, Oren wrote:
Buyer's remorse. Bought land 30 feet from home owners bedroom
window.

Video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3171625043001/buyers-remorse-state-says-it-overpaid-for-homeowners-yard/#sp=show-clips

Court is in session on Monday.

I think it's funny/ironic since government usually comes in and seizes
the property at gunpoint claiming eminent domain and if the property
owner gets anything it could be a tiny amount of money the owner must
accept with a gun pointed at his head. We've had a lot of slimy eminent
domain crap go on in my area where people had their taxes assessed at an
insane rate in order to force them to sell their property to a
corporation that wanted it and in some cases government took their
property so a shopping center could be built in order for that
government to get more sales tax. o_O

When a government entity acquires a piece of property from a private owner, even
if the process of condemnation is used, it is common place for both parties to
hire a private, licensed property appraiser.

Appraisers are usually indemnified against errors and omissions by a O&E
insurance policy. If the price paid by the state was based upon such an
appraisal, the logical recourse would be to go after the appraiser.

If they purchased without an appraisal or ignored the appraisal completely, I
would speculate they have little chance of success. However, if they can prove
the seller materially misrepresented the property, they might have legitimate
recourse.

If I were a member of the jury, on the basis of the known facts, I would find in
favor of the homeowner.