Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AIRCRAFT QUALITY BOLTS

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 08:03:33 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 19:29:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:
"John B." wrote in message
And, I've always wondered about the "billet" designation. The
advert
writer could have equally used "ingot" which has, sort of, an
association with gold bars :-)
John B.

I assumed that 'billet' meant the part had been machined from bar
stock instead of stamped or forged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft
jsw

Probably does.... and ignores that forgings are usually stronger
then
something chopped out of bar stock :-)
John B.

Yep. If the strength of something I make really matters I proof test
it. Small hardware store nuts and bolts are fairly easy to break with
a 1/2" torque wrench and 6 point sockets. Some stainless hardware I've
bought has been really soft, and I've abandoned 1/4" lag screws for
5/16" because they break too often when unscrewed from predrilled
holes in oak.

I hope you're waxing any hardware going into hardwood. It extends its
lifetime a minimum of 100%.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.