dteckie

Default best method to mitre cut board

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message ...
At first it will be. However, it sounds like you have a crossgrain
situation with the rails and the pillars. Over time, expansion/contraction
and racking forces may well compromise the glued and dowelled connection
between the rail and the pillar.

Preston

"Marton Czebe" wrote in message
om...
Although best done with
mortise and tenon (easily done with your router and bandsaw and a jig),

you
can also use dowel joinery. this eliminates weak miter joints and gives

you
a quality, traditional bed.

Thanks for your responses guys. My initial idea was to use pillars
instead of bedposts and attach the siderails to those. I don't want a
traditional siderails+bedpost bed. side view:

--
| |
| | side rail sits on the rebate on the outside of pillar

(7.8x7.8) below:
| |
--
|-------|
| | ~4 inch high rebate
---| |
| |
| |

they'd be glued+dowel joined (the mitres as well)
Would that be a strong enough joint, or shall I rethink my design?

thanks:
Marton

I am trully humbled by the wealth of knowledge in this NG. Info you
cannot get anywhere else. Kudos to all