Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Do NOT PUT Fabric Softener in the BLEACH Dispenser!!

wrote:
After two years of pouring the directed amount of both concentrated and regular liquid fabric softener into the bleach dispenser receptacle of our top-load washing machine, something started happening:

Bleach no longer followed the correct path into the fill-stream of water entering the machine! Instead, it simply overflowed the sub-tray(underneath the marked receptacle) and spilled directly onto laundry in the drum. Enough bleach remained in that sub-tray to spill over onto non-bleach(colored) loads, ruining 3 of my wife's favorite pants!!

I had to remove the top receptacle, soak up all the liquid that had accumulated in the sub-tray, and wait a couple hours for it to dry. After that, I was able to scrape out nearly ONE-EIGHTH INCH of solid accumulated fabric softener from the bottom of that tray. I used a toothpick to remove additional crud from the slit that feeds the channel at the top of the drum that carries bleach around the top of the drum to mix with the in-stream of water filling the washer.

I then put the empty washer on rinse cycle, and poured one cup of hot water from my K-Cup machine into the bleach sub-tray, to really clean it out.

What a FU%$!#@ING MESS!!

So much for following the directions on the label. From now on, we are diluting our fabric softener with water and pouring it directly into the machine while it is filling water for a load cycle. After we run out, we will buy only the laundry detergent that combines fabric softener.

And the only thing going into the bleach dispenser is BLEACH - and a once-yearly flush with 190degree water.

Fabric softener - what a damn RIPOFF anyway. They didn't have "fabric thoftener" - la de dahh - in WW2!! And their clothes came out fine!

sheesh...

Hi,
?????, how come bleach was poured into wrong place?
I don't get it. They are marked.