Posted to rec.woodworking

Default tips for kids projects?

Eli the Bearded wrote in
:

My daughter is interested in making dollhouse scale stuff. I've
purchased some bags of small craft wood and she's made some tables
and chairs, and a bed. I've also taught her how to use the Dremel
tool for cutting and sanding. Book shelves have proved tricky for
her, but I helped her make a set that aren't totally wonky.

She's 13, and much more skilled at sewing than woodwork. (The bed has
nice sheets and pillows, the table has a good table cloth. There's
also an abundance of Fimo stuff.) I'm able to make basic stuff at
regular size, but I've not had a lot of practice at small stuff or
fine detail.

I can find things like this:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf/Craft_T...-Doll-Furnitur
e.html

And similar crude stuff. Or kits to buy, but I'm looking for something
a bit more sophisticated but not a kit.

Ideas?

Elijah
------
doesn't have many clamps suitable for such small scale stuff

I build scale buildings for my layout starting with a CAD program
(CadStd) and scribing the design on to a piece of sheet styrene. I have
a "craft cutter" that does the scribing, so half the work is done for me.

You might take a similar approach, where you use a CAD or 3D Modeling
Program to sketch out the design then print out templates. (I'm not sure
if Sketchup allows you to print exact size templates, the last time I
looked they suggested using the "Layout" program that's part of the pro
version.)

When it comes to assembly, a piece of right-angle aluminum and some 1"
spring clamps (2" clamps are deeper and will be useful as well) might
help quite a bit. The angle aluminum will keep things square as the glue
dries. (Aluminum at most stores around here is usually square in the
corners, while steel pieces are rounded.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.