Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default cabinetry question

On 2/8/2014 6:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/8/2014 7:09 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 15:50:06 -0600, Leon wrote:

I have yet to meet a cutter that leaves a finish-ready surface. You're
sanding, anyway... just ease the edge during that process. Heck, it's
difficult to sand a sharp edge *without* rounding it over. :-)

Exactly how I see it.

To just break the edge, or to do a 1/16" roundover, I agree. For 1/4"
I've been known to do it mostly with a plane and finish with sandpaper.
For 3/8" and above, I break out the router :-).

The feel of a planed edge over a sanded edge is way different. I love
the feel of a planed edge. Just so nice and crisp, w/out being too sharp.

Again, w/ the size of the chamfer I'm talking of and a _sharp_ HSS bit,
the left edge is essentially undifferentiable from a planed or scraped
edge. So little material is removed there's not a tendency to tear and
the HSS edge is much sharper than carbide.

It seems most are confusing this with taking a large chamfer or a 1/8"
roundover--it's nothing near that large.